Strategy of the Ministry of Transport
Transport sector includes railways, road traffic, maritime and aviation, as well as, passenger carriage and transit branches. Road transport and traffic safety are under responsibility of the road traffic branch. The branch of communications includes electronic communications and the post.
Ministry of Transport is a leading institution of state administration of transport and communication branches which elaborates legal acts and policy planning documents regulating the branch. It provides the implementation of the transport policy.
- To elaborate and implement the state policy of Latvia in the fields of transport and communications:
- To maintain and develop an effective, safe, competetive, environment friendly and flexible transport system which offers vast opportunities to the users of this system.
- To create a liberalised and harmonious legal and economic environment of the communication sector in accordance with the demands of the EU providing effective and rational utilization of natural resources, promoting competitiveness and attracting investments
The main tasks of the Ministry
- To elaborate state policy in transport and communications sectors (documents of policy planning) and coordinate its implementation,
- To provide the attraction of financial resources to implement the state policy in transport and communication sectors,
- To participate in elaboration of EU legal acts, identifying and defending Latvian interests,
- To elaborate legal acts regulating the transport un communication sectors and within the competence of the Ministry to provide their implementation and control
More information at: www.sam.gov.lv